Organizations need a strategy for dealing with overarching, crucial ethics problems. Define your AI principles and work out how they apply.
These questions go beyond ethics of research and product design. To formulate an institutional ethics policy, we help institutions
- set up an interdisciplinary ethics team,
- define recurrent questions in the field that they operate and around the technologies that they develop
- apply these principles in concrete cases.
Having clearly defined policies together customized use-cases help guide both project teams and the leadership of the institution going forward.
OUR ETHICS PUZZLE-SOLVING MODEL IN AI
At the AI Ethics Lab, we developed our Ethics Puzzle-Solving Model to integrate ethics into AI research and development.
Our model consists of 3 components, which together provide a comprehensive approach to ethics. Yet, each one of these components can also be implemented in isolation. These are,
(1) Training Ethics: researchers’ and developers’ awareness and understanding of ethics
(2) Ethics Analysis: embedding ethical analysis into the design and development process
(3) Ethics Strategy: developing institutional policies for recurrent crucial ethical questions
We argue that the ERD model provides a meaningful way of integrating ethics into innovation, where ethics complements and enhances R&D process. In our model, ethicists are not sitting in an isolated board – they are trusted collaborators of researchers and developers, working together to improve technologies.
ERD model can be implemented fully (with all 3 components) or partially within companies, start-ups, research centers, and incubators.
To request an assessment of your company / institution and discuss implementing ERD, please contact us at email@example.com.